Set your soul free

"The greatest danger for most of us is not that our aim is too high and we miss it, but that it is too low and we reach it."

-Michelangelo

A few years ago, my boyfriend, my father, and I went to the Metropolitan Museum of Art in New York. There was a display of works from Michelangelo. They also had an illumated reproduction of the Sistine Chapel.

I remember crying and feeling like I was in the presence of mastery, of God, of something beyond this earth. And I remember explaining this to people, and they thought, and still think, I am crazy. But it matters not. People in the museum looked at me like I was insane while my eyes lit up with so much amazement, joy, and love. I would snap at anyone trying to divert my attention from the magnificence of what was in front my very own eyes. It was so hard to even believe at times. 

It is this feeling.... This burning desire within me... That makes me get up every day to paint. To create. To give life to work. It is not ego. It is spirit. I am inspired. Just as Michelangelo saw David in that block of marble, I see my paintings on those panels, in my mind, in my dreams. Art is pretty much all I think about all day long... And we are what we think about. 

Find what you are passionate about, and do it. Do it because you have to. Do it because your soul exclaims to be heard, and felt, and seen. That voice that tells you that you should do this thing with your life that you feel so adamantly about... That is your soul. It must not be drowned in the mundane and shackled by what is expected. It must be set free.

Comments

Popular Posts